The platoon leader’s analysis of the enemy situation should focus on the areas outlined in FM 71-1 (doctrinal analysis and objectives, composition and disposition, capabilities, weaknesses, anticipated COAs, and factors that can influence these COAs). The analysis can focus on the following considerations:
- What types of enemy units is the platoon up against?
- Where are these units?
- What is the enemy doing?
- How strong is he?
- What kind of equipment does he have?
- What are his capabilities and weaknesses?
- Where is he vulnerable?
- Where are his kill zones and fire sacks?
- What are the enemy’s intentions, doctrinal objectives, and most probable COA(s)?
- What can he do in response to friendly actions?